Skip to main content

Interview - Laura Vanderkam (The Cortlandt Boys)

I have had privilege to be able to ask questions to Laura Vanderkam, concerning her eBook, The Cortlandt Boys. Laura Vanderkam is more well-known as a nonfictional author of many books and her works have been included in many publications, on a national scale.

This was my interview with Laura - I hope you enjoy!

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

LV: In addition to my novel, I’m the author of several non-fiction books on time management including 168 Hours and What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast. I freelance for various publications including Fast Company and USA Today, and live outside Philadelphia with my husband and our four kids.

2. What is The Cortlandt Boys all about?

LV: The Cortlandt Boys is about a small town high school basketball team that wins the state championship with a last second 3-point shot. The story revisits the characters ten and twenty years later as the ramifications of that lucky break affect the boys and all the people around them, forever linking them to this little town that has its ways of not quite letting you go.

3. What inspired you to come up with the title?

LV: Even though the members of the basketball team age over the course of the book, in many ways, it’s their boyhood that shapes their lives, and so I wanted to reference that. As for the name of the town, Cortlandt, it’s not a real place, but had a slight allusion to “court” buried in there. I’d started using it, and liked it, and stuck with it.

4. How much research did you do?

LV: The part that required the most research was the basketball scenes. I played one season when I was 12 years old, and while I wasn’t any good at it, at least I had a general sense of the rhythm of games. I like to watch college and pro games, and I tried to capture some of that excitement.

5. How much of the book is realistic?

LV: I hope it’s realistic. I tried to capture what life is like in a small town. It’s familiar and comforting, yet suffocating at the same time.

6. Were you good at English when you were at school?

LV: Reasonably, though oddly enough, people seemed to think I was better at math back in the day. I enjoy math, but I enjoy writing more.

7. When did you decide to become a writer?

LV: I’ve always wanted to be a writer, and I’m very fortunate that this has turned into my day job. I can’t imagine doing anything else!

8. What is the hardest thing about writing?

LV: The most challenging thing about writing The Cortlandt Boys was making space for fiction, given that I’m already writing as my 9 to 5 job. I also wrote the manuscript for a non-fiction book in 2014 (called I Know How She Does It -- it comes out in June), and I wrote a host of other articles as well. So that was a lot of words. I had to push myself at the beginning to make time for fiction, but eventually, I got enough into my characters and story that I wanted to keep going.

9. What books have most influenced your life?

LV: My non-fiction books are mostly self-help books, and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People continues to set the standard in that genre. Its message of self-discipline influenced me a great deal, and hopefully comes through in my time management books.

10. Do you read much and if so who are your favourite authors?

LV: For fiction, I wind up re-reading Virginia Woolf’s books frequently. In non-fiction, I like John McPhee for high-brow stuff, and Gretchen Rubin for advice on daily living.

11. For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/ hardback books?

LV: I love ebooks -- I published The Cortlandt Boys that way! -- but I probably prefer to hold a traditional book in my hand. That’s why my office is so cluttered with books!

12. What is your favourite quote?

LV: One of the busiest women I ever interviewed told me that instead of saying ‘I don’t have time’ she says ‘It’s not a priority.’ That’s really more accurate language, and very insightful. Life is a choice. Using this language reminds us that if we’re not happy with our choices, we have the power to choose differently.

13. Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

LV: One of my favorite young authors is Zac Bissonnette. He’s got a new book out this spring called The Great Beanie Baby Bubble, which is a darkly hilarious account of toy tycoon Ty Warner and the Beanie Baby collectors who bid up the prices tremendously. It all crashed around the turn of the millennium, and Bissonnette does a great write-up of the fall out.

14. Any tips for aspiring writers out there?

LV: Writing is a skill like any other, and you get better the more you do of it. One of the reasons I like blogging is that it’s a daily form of practice. Just as a musician plays scales, I blog.

15. How can readers discover more about you and your work?

LV: Please come visit me at my website, LauraVanderkam.com. I blog frequently and would love to continue the conversation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunburn by Darren Dash

This is the cover of the recently published book "Sunburn" by Darren Dash (yes, it actually does feature a character getting burnt), which was published earlier than expected on the 1st May. This truly seems like a momentous event. This author has probably influenced my reading patterns the most, since I first picked up a book just for leisure. He is truly an inspirational guy. The cover itself is very sinister. The mix of reds and oranges as well as the sun connotes that the sun plays an antagonising role in the story. Maybe even a factor to all of the characters downfall. The simplicity makes it very intriguing as well as making it feel very uncomforting. Simple but well executed. This demonic masterpiece does not fail to disappoint even the most biggest of horror fans. Set in a perfect setting, the characters are strong, that even the smallest mistake they make can be very vexing. It focuses on three characters: Dominic; Curran and Martini. Who despite

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

This has been a long time in the making, but here it is. A court of Mist and Fury. I think that there is now the time to definitely say something about this, especially when the next book has already come out in the series. I genuinely do love this book. I think that it is much better than the first one in the series. This is mainly because of that in which the new characters are far more likeable, and those who we had been introduced to previously have been developed. For example, with Rhysand, I have found to be far more complicated than what had already been shown in the first book. In fact, I don't think that the first book did any justice for him. In any sort of perspective. However, it has also identified that Tamlin is not all that he seems, very annoying more than anything. I think however, that it is more due to the fact of that in which it feels like it was a waste to have a whole book with him in, now that the story has developed. In this next instalment, it carr

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

It is back to Amanda Hocking this week, with her new book that I have recently been talking about, when reviewing her other series, the Trylle Trilogy. Although, this book is now in a new series, but set in the same universe. It is called the Kanin Chronicles... I must admit, when actually owning the book, the cover is very enchanting and beautiful. How for instance, the main character and protagonist, Bryn Aven, is at the centre of attention, with her coat covered in red. Whereas in the background, it is very muted colours, with the whites and blacks, but also having a sort of wonderland type of presence. Red to me also makes me feel quite uncomfortable and moreover is a colour for danger. So, onto the criticisms then! First of all, I don't know why but I felt a little bit out of place with this new world. Maybe it is because I read the other series in the same universe, I may have gotten used to them far too much. So when there are old characters appearing and being ment